Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Taiko uniform

Each person in my taiko (Japanese drumming) group, was asked to sew themselves a uniform. Those of us with bigger busts, had to sew darts into the boob area but basically they are all similar. Three panels on the bottom, criss-cross straps and a back strap across the middle. All that is to stop it falling off you when you drum. When I first sewed mine, I accidentally had my two side panels on top of the middle and had to wear it that way to perform. But after that performance I unpicked the top from the bottom, unpicked the three parts and resewed it all. Truth be told, I liked it better the first time and I sewed it better the first time lol. Oh well.


Below, you can see that the three flaps are overlapped and have a split.



And in this photo, you can see the back side, where it is all lined nicely with grey denim. Plus you can see the way the straps work. They pull the sides around me (the black you can see on each side). Look at how nicely I sewed this, can't see a single piece of raw fabric! :P As I always say, I can sew, I just don't like to lol.



The next step is to get them embroidered. Our name used to be Kaze No Ko (children of the wind, I think?) but we are re-branding our performance group to 'Seigan daiko' (I think?) which means 'west coast taiko'. Today I will wash, dry and iron my uniform, then I'll take the print out to embroidery shops and ask for quotes for the group to get our names embroidered on them (in red). We wear this over red t-shirts and long black pants. Below you can see where the name will be embroidered:


And that is almost enough sewing for this week, I've got a couple of easy skirts to sew and a couple of dresses for Emma to sew from the same fabric.

No comments: