Saturday, March 21, 2009

Glasswork

Tonight I also made two glass pendants. One I have a photo of here but one is still cooling in the microwave so I will have to load it later/tomorrow.

So this is what I start with, black glass and a bag of frit (sorta like glass shards). This bag is called 'Aloha'. I cut the glass to the size I want (here's one I prepared earlier :P).


Then add glass glue and a pile of frit (note: this is the colour of the pendant still cooling in the microwave because I forgot to take a photo of aloha loaded on the glass and ready to go).


Into the special kiln and into the microwave for around 10 minutes (you have to slowly build up the temperature of the glass or it will crack but black glass is a lot less temperamental plus I like it more than white lol).

And here is the outcome! So what you see here is the 'cooked' version of the first photo. These cant be worn yet, they need to be slow fired in a proper kiln before I can attach them to jewellery. When this was done, I loved the colours but my first thought was 'Whoa, this is a bit of a 'Chrissy' looking colour scheme!' This was cooked less on a high temperature than the first pendant I made, thus the colours are more 'blob' than 'bleeding' if that makes sense? I think the next time I try that technique, I'll let the frit start closer to the edge so the whole pendant is colourful not just the centre.



I'll upload the second pendant (which is of the second photo, it's called 'spring violet' frit).

1 comment:

Quaver said...

I can only see the bottom photo (thanks internet connection!), but yep, definitely Chrissy colours. I so need to learn how to do that when I go over there lol